AILEEN PALMER HOLISTIC THERAPY
WHAT IS REFLEXOLOGY
Reflexology is a holistic treatment that aims to rebalance the body on a physical, mental and emotional level. Using specific hand and finger techniques to apply precise pressure to reflexes on the feet (and hands) that relate to corresponding organs, glands and systems of the body. Working these reflexes brings relief to a wide range of conditions, causes deep relaxation and enables homeostasis to the whole person not just the prevailing symptoms. Reflexology creates physiological, chemical and emotional changes throughout the body. During and after a reflexology treatment, the body begins progressively clearing blockages, re-establishing energy flows and balancing itself, resulting in better health. Reflexology is suitable for all ages including children
HISTORY OF REFEXOLOGY
Reflexology is a gentle healing art which dates back to ancient Egypt and China, indicating that even then the benefits of this therapy were strongly acknowledged. It can be seen in Egyptian tomb art work dating from around 2000BC.
It was not until 1913 that Dr William Fitzgerald introduced this therapy to the West. He found that the application of pressure to one part of the body could create a response in another. This reflex relationship was found to lie within certain longitudinal zones of which there are ten in the body. Fitzgerald called this the science of “zone therapy”. On the 1930’s, a young physiotherapist called Eunice Ingham, further developed the study of zone therapy into reflexology as we know it today. It was she who determined that the reflexes on the feet and hands were an exact mirror image of the organs of the body.
BENEFITS OF REFLEXOLOGY
Reflexology is a healing therapy that brings a natural state of balance to the body as a whole by relieving blockages and tension. It relaxes, cures and energises all in one treatment.
- Revitalises energy
- Helps focus and stimulate creativity and productivity
- Relieves Stress, anxiety, grief and depression
- Recuperation after an illness or surgery
- Rebalances hormones
- Eliminates toxins and waste
- Helps after physical and emotional trauma (PTSD)
- Improves digestive health (constipation, IBS, diarrhoea, heartburn)
- Improves circulation and blood pressure
- Improves nerve function (bells palsy, sciatica, MS, MND, etc.)
- Helps with respiratory issues (asthma, CF, etc.)
- Improves urinary issue (cystitis, kidney stones, etc.)
- Aids skeletal issue problems (arthritis, gout, fractures)
- Helps with muscular disorders (fibromyalgia, cramps, spasms, etc.)
- Eases headaches/migraines and sinusitis
- Boosts and strengthens the immune system
- Helps prevent flu, colds and infections
- Relieves nerve pain
- Helps with menstruation and menopause
- Alleviates Insomnia and fatigue
- Skin related issues (acne, eczema)
- Useful in pregnancy preparation
- Helps birthing and delivery
- Aids fertility issues
- Assists postnatal recovery
- Helps with emotional issues
- Complementary to cancer care
A REFLEXOLOGY TREATMENT
The first visit will include a consultation, outlining any ongoing or past issues and what you want from your treatment. A treatment is carried out on a bed with your shoes and socks removed, you will be in a comfortable position either lying down or with your back and head elevated. I will start with relaxation, then using my hands and wrists loosen and relax the feet, following on I will use specific finger and knuckle techniques to apply pressure on reflex points on the feet which correspond to the body’s glands, organs and systems.
HOW YOU WILL FEEL DURING TREATMENT
When Reflexology is applied to different reflex areas in the feet, different feelings will be present in various areas. Some areas may feel very sharp and the you may think the I am using my nail to press into the foot but this will indicate which parts of the body are out of balance or have energy blocks. The treatment still works even if tender areas are not felt in the feet and the treatment is promoting the body to self-heal.
HOW YOU WILL FEEL AFTER TREATMENT
You will feel the immediate benefits even after just one treatment. You will feel relaxed and energised but may also feel tired and emotional. You may experience increased urination and bowel movements as the body is riding itself of toxins, matter and impurities.
In order to get the best result from your treatment, I would encourage you to drink lots of water to flush out all toxins and impurities that were released during your reflexology treatment thus aiding the detoxifying process, it is important to rest as this helps to boost the body’s natural healing abilities.
60 Min Reflexology Treatment - €50
**Note** certain alternative and complementary therapies are covered under Health Insurance, depending on your policy cover. Please ensure to check with your Health Insurance provider to ascertain if you are due a refund.
I am a full member of the National Register of Reflexologists Ireland and Irish Reflexologists Institute.